Monday, August 31, 2015

Do you need a tax identification number (TIN) even if you're not working?

Yes, you do, if you would like to transact with the government --- like getting a driver's license, setting up a corporation, getting a clearance, official paper or document.

The TIN card is also useful when you would like to have certain documents notarized, because under our present notarial rules issued by the Supreme Court (AM 02-8-13-SC), you can no longer use your community tax certificate or "cedula" for this purpose. You need to present a government-issued identification card to the notary public; this ID card must have your photo and signature.

In 1999, Executive Order No. 98 was issued, requiring government agencies to come up with procedures requiring a TIN before issuing permits, licenses, clearances, official papers and documents to anyone. Persons with TIN cards are to be given priority in government transactions.

If you are not working, you should fill out BIR Form No. 1904 to be able to secure a TIN. This is the form used for one-time taxpayers and those who need a TIN to be able to transact with the government. Click this link for the form:

To support your TIN application, you will need any of the following:

  • Birth certificate
  • ID that shows your complete name, date of birth and signature such as driver's license, Integrated Bar of the Philippines ID, Professional Regulation Commission ID, Passport
  • Marriage contract.